When it comes to native American baby girl and boy names, there are endless possibilities of what you can choose. Native American baby names also allow you to name your baby something unique that sets them apart from the rest of their classmates or friends at school by giving them a name that may not be common.
Naming your baby can be one of the most difficult, yet satisfying decisions you will ever have to make in your lifetime. However, when it comes to naming your child something traditional or unique there are many different options to choose from. But if you’re looking for a unique name for your baby boy, consider a Native American name.
Though there are many beautiful names to choose from, and the popularity of Native American baby names is growing rapidly. In 2022, there will be 167 Native American boy names we have chosen to mention in this blog. Many of these names have deep spiritual meanings, and all of them are beautiful and distinct.
Best native American baby boy names
Therefore, many native American baby names can be chosen for your baby. The native Americans are people who were living here before the Europeans arrived in the 15th century. The native American tribe was made of people from different tribes. Each tribe had a name and there was diversity among them. Native American baby names are inspired by nature, seasons, and places of their ancestors. Many of them are connected with animals that are relevant to them. If you want your baby’s name to be unique, you should look for native American names list below and they are:
1. Alan: This name means, “handsome” or “brave”. It can be used by those parents who have a strong connection with the native American culture.
2. Titan: The name is very popular because of its existence in Greek mythology. It means ‘a defender,’ and so it a popular native American name.
3. Alawa: This is originally a girl’s name that was given to boys after it went out of use for a significant period. The meanings of this name are “leader”, and also “he laughs”.
4. Alden: This name is for those parents who wish to give their baby boy a strong, solid, and traditional-sounding name. It denotes an old person with wisdom and experience.
5. Alonzo: According to psychologists, the meaning of this name is very important as they help the child identify himself with his name. Therefore, this is another name with a great meaning. It means “noble and ready”, or “ready for nobility”.
6. Aluk: This adorable name has multiple meanings; it can mean either “thunder” or “he brings happiness.” As you see, both meanings are spiritual.
7. Coyote: This native American name meaning is “trickster”. The same name is used for a native American girl as well.
8. Lian: Only one letter off from Liam, this name meaning “the graceful willow tree”.
9. Pearl: This unisex name is a native American name meaning “precious.”
10. Bidziil: This unique name refers to a strong human being,’ thus you can choose it for your son as it is important to be both physically and mentally strong.
11. Charles: This name means brave and strong hearted, which is exactly what you want from a man, especially if it’s the father of your son.
12. Dayton: Native American baby boy name Dayton meaning “tall.”
13. Ethan: This is a modern version of the name Ethen, which means strong or safe. You can choose this moniker if you want to convey strength and protection to your baby boy.
14. Calum: This strong and masculine name can be translated as either ‘dove’ or ‘victorious’.
15. Achak: Among the native American baby boy names, Achak is an interesting name. It seems to be a combination of 2 old English boys’ names, Ace and Jack. This indigenous heritage name has a powerful meaning which is “wise leader”.
16. Biyata: A native American name of Navaho origin, Biyata has a nice meaning to it which is ‘movement’. So if you want your son to move on then this may be a good choice for you.
17. Christian: This native American baby names has been popularized thanks to celebrity Angelina Jolie’s adoptive son. It is very popular and well known in the US.
18. Emmett: It is a version of a feminine name ‘Emma.’ It means ‘truth’ and men with this name are expected to have a pure soul.
19. Christopher: This is another name that has become very popular, thanks to celebrity Angelina Jolie’s adoptive son. It means Christ bearer and will remind your child of his savior every time he hears it.
20. Deganawida: Native American baby boy name Deganawida meaning “two river currents flowing together to make a third stronger current.”
21. Esten: Although it might be difficult to find related names with this spelling, this name is quite popular as a baby boy name.
22. Tadeo: It is an Indian native American baby names for boys with sweet meaning. The meaning of the name is not known but it’s prediction that it means is pretty flower. You can use this baby name for your first daughter also.
23. Eugene: This name has been used as a given name from the days of Roman Empire and is still widely used now. It means ‘well born’ or ‘noble.’
24. Colin: This very cute name comes from a Scottish surname and means dove-like. It’s a very popular choice nowadays.
25. Donovan: This might be one of the best names for your little boy if he is being named after his grandpa or uncle. Don means brown and van means little one.
26. Eyan: It is believed that children with this name will have the ability to judge well and have a high sense of justice.
27. Cole: This cute native American name originates from Scotland and can also mean coal black. It’s a great choice for your baby boy.
28. Ezekial: It is one of the best native American baby boy names from the Z name. It means ‘strength of god’ or ‘one who has been strengthened by god.’
29. Fetla: Fetla is a Native American name that means “wildcat” in Sioux.
30. Cody: This cute name has recently been popularized by reality television star Brody Jenner’s son. The name is made from two words “Coe” which means swan and “DOI” which means dark or black, and it will remind your baby that even the darkest things will shine like a swan too.
31. Za-VA-tete: This Native American baby boy name means “redbird”. The redbird is a small, beautiful bird that sings beautifully during the morning hours. These are one of the famous traditional names for baby boys.
32. Ezra: This name has been used for centuries in different cultures. It means ‘help.’
33. Fisk: The name Fisk has many meanings but it is generally considered to be derived from the Middle English word fisc, which means “fish.”
34. Hassan: Hassan was a Native American who is believed to be one of the first inhabitants of what is now known as New Hampshire.
35. Henry: This name is of Anglo-Saxon origin and means ‘home ruler’.
36. Curtis: This cute name’s meaning is loyal disciple and was popularized by American novelist James Fenimore Cooper’s novel “The Last of the Mohicans”.
37. Herbert: This name means’ bright warrior’. The name Herbert was popularized by the Frankish writer Saint Herbert.
38. Istas: This native American name means “snow” for your winter baby.
39. Aaron: The name Aaron is the English form of the Hebrew name Aharon which means “mountaineer” or “of mountain height”. This fire maker baby names are typically given to boys.
40. Hilario: Originating from Latin meaning ‘cheerful’ or ‘happy’.
41. Izaac: This Native American baby name is perfect for your winter boy. It means “the Lord will laugh”.
42. Jayson (jay zONE): This splendid name is derived from the English language, and it means ‘God is gracious’. In other words, the name means that God will be your child’s strength and motivation in life.
43. Hiram: This name means ‘my brother’ or ‘brotherly’. It was also the name of the architect who constructed Solomon’s Temple in Jerusalem.
44. Atohi:-it is one of the unique baby boy names meaning ‘open country, plains’. This magic power name is often chosen as a middle name.
45. Colton: This name has a cute and simple meaning, it means “a town by the wood”. It’s very easy to remember thanks to this definition.
46. Caleb: Meaning follower of God, this name was initially given to one of Jesus’ twelve apostles. Both you and your baby will be a follower of God.
47. Dorian: This is a modern version of the name Dorien, which means from Doris.
48. Izik: Perfect Native American boys’ name that means “who provides” in Hebrew.
49. Jonas: The name sounds very sophisticated, and it means ‘dove’ which is a symbol of peace. Moreover, names after birds are very popular and thus highly suggested these days.
50. Manido-giizhig: name meaning is “the spirit that never dies”, it’s good for an young eagle because this bird flies very high, so he could touch the sky and maybe other places.
51. Jefferson: The name Jefferson has been used for centuries but only recently it has started gaining popularity. Furthermore, it means ‘son of Jeffrey’ and thus symbolizes that your child will be a confident boy like his father.
52. Kenesaw: There is a mountain named Kenesaw in the USA, Georgia. The name means ‘grass’ and men with this name are soft.
53. Dov: This is a modern version of the name Dowell, which means heart. If you are looking for an affectionate name for your son, this is perfect.
54. Jagger: The name originated from the English language, and it means ‘one who rules’. In other words, this name means that your child will be a born leader who always takes matters in his own hands.
55. Kentrell: Kentrell means ‘the Great Chief’ and it’s derived from English and African origins.
56. Hernando: Hernan Cortes and Diego Velasquez were two Spanish Conquistadores who, after conquering the Aztecs and other native people of Mexico, founded modern-day Mexico City in 1519.
57. Jason: The name Jason is of Greek origin, and it means ‘to heal’. In other words, this name symbolizes that your child will have the ability to heal both people and their souls.
58. Kenevah: Kenevah is a Native American baby name. The meaning of the name is ‘son’
59. Degan: It is native American baby boy names alphabet D, Degan means “deer.”
60. James: The name has been used for centuries but it recently has started gaining popularity again, and it means ‘one who supplants’. In other words, this name symbolizes that your child will be somebody in his life.
61. Ituwan: This is a Hopi name that means “turquoise”. Turquoise is a very valuable stone and it was highly valued in the Native American culture. This tribe name is also for baby girls. This native American baby girl name can be used to add charm to your daughter’s personality.
62. Keshawn: Keshawn means ‘the Lord has shined upon me’.
63. Finton: The name Finton has many meanings but is generally considered to be derived from a place name in England that derives from the Old English elements fion, which means “white,” and tun, which means “enclosure.”
64. Kwewuruke: This name is derived from Native American origins and it means ‘happy’ or ‘jolly’.
65. Lupe: This one is a Spanish baby name that means ‘wolf.’
66. Merrick: This name can easily be a gift from you to your son as it means ‘one who gains fame and has lots of powers.’ It is one of the highly suggested names for all parents.
67. Kieran: Kieran is an Irish baby name. The meaning of the name is ‘little dark one’.
68. Deganawidah: It is the Native American baby names for boy that meaning is “two rivers flowing together.” And the professional medical advice is this name is most likely to make your child’s teachers his favorites.
69. Haroldo: These people are generally very powerful and have leadership qualities. Therefore this name can surely give an identity to your son.
70. Brahmjit: This omaha name is usually given to a son. It means “holy or sacred.”
71. Lachlan: If you want a boy name that has a Scottish origin, this is the choice for you. It means ‘son of Lachlann.’
72. Maverick: Every parent wishes for their son to be an independent human being in life, and this is name correctly suits them.
73. Flansburg: The origin of this boy’s name is Native American and means “flint.”
74. Nomad: For those parents who wish to give a name to their baby which makes him stand out from the crowd, this is a perfect choice as it means ‘wanderer.’
75. Lenox: This one is pretty close to the epic baby name Lennon, but, it has an unisex appeal because it can be used for both genders. It means ‘holly place.’
76. Finch: The name Finch has many meanings but is generally considered to be derived from a bird name that relates to the finches.
77. Winonah: The name Winonah is of Native American origin. The meaning of the name is “first-born daughter”. It is a female given name, related to the actress Winona Rider but you can give this name to your native American boy also.
78. Denean: Native American baby boy names meaning “Nile river.”
79. Flicker: The origin and meaning of this baby boy’s name is Native America and means “woodpecker.”
80. Aadiwak: This Algonquin name means “the first one”. And this native American baby names fit for your child because he is the first one in your family. You can use this same name for your first daughter.
81. Ketonica: The name is derived from Native American origins and it means ‘little wolf’.
82. Nodin: This is a rarely used native American name which means ‘wind,’ usually, people with such names are unstoppable.
83. Naithan: This is a Navajo name that means ‘tough, handsome’.
84. Flare: Flare is a Native American baby name meaning “pine tree.”
85. Omega: This is a perfect name for one of those parents who wants to keep their child off the beaten track. The name means ‘last.’
86. Onan: This is a great choice if you want to give your daughter a unique and special Native American baby boy name that has the meaning ‘fire.’
87. Ondo: If you want to give your son a traditional Native American baby boy name then this one will be perfect for you. It means ‘wolf’ and will definitely fit your son to the tee.
88. Onawa: This is an awesome name that means ‘bear,’ and it will be enough for all your child’s classmates to remember his name.
89. Augustin: This name is originally Latin and means “venerable.”
90. Naim: This is a Hebrew name which means ‘calm, peaceful’.
91. Pavati: This Hopi name means “clear water.” And it’s spelled the same no matter how it sounds.
92. Quaylan: This is an interesting name that means ‘shelter.’ They are generally attractive people who care about living in harmony with nature.
93. Quilliam: This is a powerful Native American baby name that means ‘handsome chief.’
94. Pablito: This Aztec name means “little one.” And it’s spelled the same no matter how it sounds.
95. Onewa: This is a pretty cool Native American baby boy name that means ‘moon.’ If you want your kid to shine bright like a star.
96. Akicita: This hopi name is given to the warriors who are fighting for their tribe. They have strong fighting skills and courage which make them great fighters.
97. Kahionhes: This Native American baby boy name means ‘young man’ or ‘little boy’.
98. Denver: It is one of the best Native American baby boy names because it is derived from the word “green” – denver means “green.”
99. Keziah: This is another Native American baby boy name which means ‘chief’ or ‘ruler’.
100. Antonio: The meaning of this name is also “like an eagle”. It was originally a Spanish name; however, it became famous all over the world thanks to Antonio Banderas.
101. Lulu: This is a short name and was very popular in the 1900s, but, its time again to bring it back. It means ‘rabbit.’
102. Kiyaiyaletoken: This is a Native American baby boy name which means ‘wild’. The people with this name are considered to be protective by the community.
103. Makhpiya Luta: It is one of the ancient names which are mostly chosen by Hopi tribe.
104. Otis: If you want to give your daughter the Native American baby boy name ‘Otis,’ which means ‘wealthy man’ then go for it.
105. Denali: The Native American baby boy name Denali has its origins in Alaska.
106. Omakayas: This is a very unique Native American baby boy name which means ‘little frog’ and was also the main protagonist of a famous children story who always did their best to help others.
107. Onatah: If you want to give your daughter an old school Native American baby boy name then this one will do just fine. It simply means ‘corn.’
108. Andre: This name means “brave”, which makes it the perfect option for parents who want their son to be brave like his father.
109. Owanka: You can’t go wrong with this Native American baby boy name which means ‘waterfall’ and will surely make your kid stand out from the crowd.
110. Kitchemonia: The meaning of the name is derived from Native American origins and it means ‘he fights’ or ‘he struggles for breath’.
111. Opee: You can’t go wrong if you give your baby boy this name since it means ‘rain’ and will surely help him in his life when he feels down.
112. Quma: This is a unique name that means ‘bear spirit.’ These people are very pretty, but they have trouble nurturing their children.
113. Ryland: The name comes from Ryan and Ryder. Ryland, the new version means ‘area where rye is grown.’
114. Pecos: This name comes from the Pueblo Indian tribe and means “little man.”
115. Onon: This is an old school Native American baby boy name that means ‘big.’
116. Aakob: This Algonquin name means “tall”. And it may be fit for your native American baby boy because if you look at him, his height is taller than others.
117. Qumah: This is a unique name that means ‘blackbird.’ These people are very friendly, but they sometimes leave social events awkwardly.
118. Russell: Russell is an English last name. It means ‘red-haired’ or ‘bright red.’
119. Quillen: This is an interesting name that means ‘one who has curly hair.’ They are born pranksters, and their jokes can be seen as rude.
120. Alvin: This name was originally a surname that means “elfin” or “magical.” It may relate to the native American culture since they believed in magic and different types of powers.
121. Onowa: If you want to give your son a name that has the meaning ‘crystal clear water’ then this one is perfect for him.
122. Louie: Louie means ‘renowned in battle.’
123. Orin: This is another Native American baby boy name that simply means ‘arrow.’ Your kid will surely be able to pass all the archery classes with flying colors!
124. Amaruwitik: This is a Hopi name that means “coming moon”. The coming new moon always comes after sunset and it has its charm which makes people attracted towards it, this is the same baby name you can use for baby girls.
125. Oswin: If you want your son to have an intelligent Native American baby boy name, then this one is for you since it means ‘noble friend.’
126. Lorenzo: This one is the Italian form of Lawrence, which means ‘laurels crown or crowned with laurel.’
127. Oskar: If you want to give your son a rare Native American baby boy name then this will be perfect for him. It means ‘man of the spear’ and is quite unique too.
128. Paxton: This means “from the peaceful town.”
129. Arthur: This name also has its origin in the English culture and history, but it became famous after it was given to one of the most significant leaders of Native Americans – Arthur Parker.
130. Otakatay: This is another cool Native American baby boy name which means ‘ear.’ If you want to ensure that your kid has big ears like an elephant, then this one is for you.
131. Penn: A popular name in America, it is said to mean “chief” or “friend.”
132. Onan: This is a perfect choice if you want to give your son an old school Native American baby name that simply means ‘fire.’
133. Pavi: While this means “eagle” in Hopi, it might as well be your next favorite rap artist’s name.
134. Omba: If you want your son to have a Native American baby boy name that means ‘brown’ then this one will do just fine.
135. Quian: This is an unusual name that means ‘eagle spirit.’ They are generally viewed as virtuous people who are adored by all.
136. Randall: Randall is the combination of Randy and Harry. The meaning of this name is ‘Randy’s ruler’ in the old German language.
137. Quigley: This is a very unique name that means ‘one who is brave.’ They are generally humorous, but they have trouble expressing their feelings.
138. Onatah: This is another beautiful and unique American baby boy name that means ‘corn.’
139. Antoine: This tribe name is very spiritual and meaningful. It means “ready”, which indicates that the person is striving towards achieving his goals. It would be perfect for your baby name.
140. Davian: This is a modern version of the name David, which means beloved. By opting for this name, you can convey your love and affection for your son.
141. Jameson: The name Jameson has been used for centuries but it recently has started gaining popularity again. It means ‘son of James’. In other words, this name symbolizes that your child will have a great sense of responsibility just like his father.
142. Mika: It was derived from the Algonquin language and it means that ‘he is my son’.
143. Oakley: If you’re looking for a Native American baby name that means ‘from the field of oak trees’ then this one will be just perfect for your kid.
144. Quay: This is a cute name that means ‘shelter.’ These people are very strong-willed, but it takes time for them to show.
145. Omil: This is another baby boy name that means ‘flame.’
146. Quannah: This is an adorable name that means ‘one who has a sweet smell.’ These people generally are very charismatic.
147. Onayat: This name has the meaning ‘willow tree’ and is perfect for your son if you want to make him stand out from all other boys.
148. Jayden: The name sounds very intelligent and sophisticated, and it is derived from the English language. It means ‘God has heard’ or ‘the Lord God has heard’.
149. Alexander: This is for parents who believe in the warrior’s spirit of their baby boy. And the name of this native american baby boys meaning is “defender” or “protector”.
150. Carson: This is another one of those very cute names that have become extremely popular in the USA, thanks to celebrity Nicole Richie’s son. It means marsh dweller and will remind your baby boy of the place he was born.
151. Finley: Finley is a native American baby name meaning “fair, blond hero” or it can be spelled Finnlea or Finnleigh.
152. Corbin: This cute name means raven and has Celtic origins, but it’s gaining popularity all over the world. If you are looking for a unique native American baby boy name, this is definitely one of your best choices.
153. Kiowa: This is a Native American baby boy name which means ‘from the south’. People with this name are fastidious and gentle.
154. Matoskah: This is an amazing name for babies as it is associated with the name of an animal.
155. Meya: This is a very unique name with lots of variations like; Miya, Myah and Mayah.
156. Anowirakowa: This beautiful but difficult to pronounce name means “he keeps watch”.
157. Deagan: This is a modern version of the name Deaglan, which means Slender.
158. Gokahn: The meaning of Gokahn is A man who communicates with spirits by his own will.
159. Jackson: Jackson has been traditionally used to name boys but lately men named Jackson are very common. The name sounds authoritative, and it means ‘son of Jack’.
160. Jacob: The name sounds very strong and confident, and it is derived from the Hebrew language. It means ‘prevailer with God’.
161. Mato: It also has a historical background as this name was choosen by a famous Sioux warrior.
162. Amasa: This was originally a biblical name that means ” spirit warrior”.
163. Colton: This name has a cute and simple meaning, it means “a town by the wood”. It’s very easy to remember thanks to this definition.
164. Dakota: This is a modern version of the name ‘Dahkotah’ which means allies.
165. Izyah: These Native American baby names means “the Lord is my God”.
166. Conner: Meaning strong willed warrior, this name is popular because of celebrity Nicole Richie’s son. The gentle connotations are perfect for a growing baby.
167. Albert: This is another classic name for baby boys, though it has Native American origin. It means “a noble and bright mind”, or “one who is extremely intelligent.”
The bottom line
Therefore, the United States of America is a melting pot that includes many different cultures and backgrounds. With such diversity, it’s no surprise there are thousands of unique names for babies born each year in the U.S. But what about those looking to give their child an authentic American name? We looked at over 167 native American baby boy names with meanings and found some truly inspirational choices. We hope you found a name for your son and we wish you all the best as parents. As always, please let us know if there is anything else that we left to add to the above list through a comment section below.