The beauty industry is filled with different kinds of facial washes, creams, and moisturizers that all aim to manage different skin types. Whether it’s oily, dry, sensitive, prone to sunburn, etc., there’s a facial wash or skin care product targeted towards you.
So, if what you’ve been struggling with is dry skin and you want to use a facial wash that could effectively address such an issue, how do you choose the best kind? Here are some tips to help you decide:
Know Your Skin Type
First and foremost, you’re going to want to determine what your skin type is. There are different online quizzes you can take, you can go seek the help of a dermatologist, or you can simply look for these indicators:
- Oily skin: large, visible pores, as well as a greasy shine that’s noticeable after washing your face
- Dry skin: skin will be itchy or flaky, sometimes feeling tight in general
- Sensitive skin: there’d often be some redness on your face, which becomes more apparent after shaving or cleansing
- Normal skin: skin tone is even and there are no signs of flaking, redness, or greasiness
- Combination skin: your T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) will be oily, while your cheeks are drier
Once you’ve determined what kind of skin you have, you can begin comparing the different products available to you, in your case, products aimed at treating dry skin.
Shortlist Reputable Brands
Websites such as MomCurls.com can offer a detailed list explaining the pros and cons of certain beauty products. Many of these websites will feature different, popular brands, such as:
- La Roche-Posay
La Roche-Posay offers a Toleriane face wash that uses thermal spring water as a base. The importance of this is that it doesn’t mess with the pH of your skin, which is what usually causes dryness. Instead, this face wash is meant to promote skin moisture.
This product typically runs around USD$14.99 per bottle.
- Vichy Purete
Vichy has a gel cleanser that uses Vitamin B5 in order to remove makeup and repair skin without making it fragile or sensitive. In fact, Vichy’s gel cleanser is meant to strengthen your skin’s natural barrier.
This product sells for around USD$18.00 per bottle.
A household name, Dove offers a fragrance-free face wash that has been proven to visibly improve the dryness of your skin in as little as four washes.
This product usually retails around USD$10.99 per bottle.
Another popular household name, Neutrogena offers many facial cleansing solutions, including an ultra gentle version of their hydrating cleanser that can help treat dry skin, including those with conditions like eczema or rosacea.
This product retails around USD$8.19 per bottle.
Some other popular brands on the market include Cetaphil, Garnier, and CeraVe. All of these brands offer different pros and cans, so it’s important to compare options before making a decision. There are a lot of skin care options for dry skin out there, so take your time to research before deciding.
Take A Close Look At The Ingredients
When choosing a facial cleanser for dry skin, it helps to look at the ingredients.
Here’s a list of the top five ingredients you should look for in a facial cleanser for dry skin:
- Glycolic acid – This is found in sugarcane and fruits, and helps exfoliate and attract moisture to the skin, which, in turn, makes it feel hydrated throughout the day.
- Aloe vera – Commonly used as a sunburn treatment, aloe vera can actually soak into the skin quickly and provide relief from redness and irritation.
- Lactic acid – This is often found in prescription moisturizers and is used to help seal moisture into the skin.
- Urea – It’s a less known ingredient, but one that can have huge effects. It’s used to draw moisture from the air and use it to hydrate the skin.
- Chamomile extract – This can aid in protecting and nourishing sensitive skin.
If you can find a facial cleanser with one or more of these ingredients, then, you’re on the right track to finding the best facial wash for your dry skin. It’s important to note that there’s not one cleanser made for everyone—what works for one person may not work for another.
When it comes to finding the best facial cleanser for dry skin, doing research is essential. It also pays to always look at the ingredients list before purchasing a product, read online reviews, consider cost, and keep trying until you find what works best for you.