Exercise is a critical component of a healthy lifestyle. A consistent exercising routine not just helps maintain optimal weight, but it also keeps blood sugar levels steady. Well, one thing that goes unnoticed during a workout is our feet. We take them for granted and concentrate on other body parts. People especially those with diabetes need to be extra mindful of their feet while exercising. Whether you are going for morning walks or are engaging in an elliptical workout routine, it’s important to be cautious regarding your foot health.
Here’s how you can protect your feet during workout:
1) Kick-Off Workout Routine by Stretching Your Feet: Stretching benefits the whole body including feet. Make a constant routine of starting your workout with a few stretching exercises for feet. A simple way to get started is by rolling a ball underneath the soles of the feet. This will increase blood circular and relieve tension in the muscles.
2) Choose Foot Exercises Wisely: Opt for foot-specific exercises workout to strengthen your feet. Also, make sure to choose exercises that are less impactful such as walking or biking. There are certain balance yoga exercises that can also be done to make feet strong and healthy.
3) Opt for the Right Pair of Shoes: Wearing the right shoes is extremely crucial to achieve optimal performance during a workout. Wearing improper footwear can pose a risk of feet problems like arch spasms, blisters, heel spurs, etc. So, make sure to find a pair of right shoes. We recommend women with diabetes to wear diabetic shoes for women to keep your feet flexible and strong. Also, make sure to choose footwear according to the activity you undertake. For example – gym shoes for weight lifting won’t deliver the same performance if you are a frequent runner.
Extra Tip: If you are buying diabetic shoes, buy a pair with a spacious toe box, soft interior, breathable upper and stiff midsole. We also recommend you to opt for footwear with a low heel, cushioned tongue, and hard outsole.
4) Don’t Exercise Barefoot: It’s important to wear shoes all the time until your workout session expires. Reason – naked foot tends to catch infections faster. If you are going to the pool, make sure to wear aquatic shoes.
5) Keep Feet Clean & Dry: Make a regular habit of washing and drying your feet thoroughly before and after the workout. To keep bacteria and infections at bay, use antifungal foot powder. It is also crucial to trim your toenails regularly. Also, wear clean and breathable socks every day before hitting the ground or gym.
6) Check for Foot Problems: No doubt pain and few aches are common during a workout. However, if not addressed, they can lead to severe foot problems. You also need to examine your feet for blisters, redness, spots, cuts or bruises. If you find any, make sure to seek a podiatrist to get timely treatment.
A Few Tips To Follow for Optimal Foot Health:
1) Massage your feet before every night.
2) Take a foot bath after an active day or simply roll some ice cubes on the feet.
3) Keep feet hydrated by applying a good foot cream or moisturizer.
4) Consume supplements necessary for foot health.
5) Wear diabetic shoes during the workout.
- Best 7 Tips To Keep Your Kids Healthy - November 17, 2019
- How To Check Basal Temperature - November 8, 2019
- 10 Fun and Affordable Hobbies for Your Kid - November 5, 2019
- Important Things You Should Know About Surrogacy - October 31, 2019
- Unique and Latest Christian Baby Names - October 24, 2019
- 6 Tips to Protect Your Feet While Exercising - October 20, 2019
- Effective Tips To Tighten Loose Skin After Pregnancy. - October 18, 2019
- How to Deal With Baby Acid Reflux - October 15, 2019
- How to Find the Right ADHD Treatment Doctor - October 15, 2019
- Which Treatments are Safe During Pregnancy? - October 15, 2019