What Happens When You Have a Child but You’re Not Married?

you re going to be a big brother 2022 11 16 23 03 57 utc(1)(1)

Having a baby can be a scary but exciting time. There’s a lot to learn, and many preparations need to be made.

When you’re pregnant, your primary focus might be on getting through your pregnancy. However, you should also be thinking ahead, especially if you have a child but are not married.

If you have a child but are not married to the father, it can cause a lot of confusion and difficulty down the road. Many things may need to be sorted out, including if child support is needed, how custody and visitation will work, and making sure the father is legally recognized as a parent.

It’s essential to start thinking about these issues early and get additional legal help if you need it. Let’s go over some of the things that happen when you have a child but you’re not married.

Establishing who the parents are

It’s usually straightforward to establish who the birth mother is, but In some cases, the father is not automatically assumed to be the parent if the child is not born within a marriage. In order to establish paternity, the mother and father can sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity form, which can be done at the hospital at the time of birth.

If there’s no father’s name on the birth certificate, he may be required to take a paternity test. Once paternity has been established, the father will have the same legal rights and responsibilities as any other father. This includes the right to custody and visitation and the responsibility to provide child support.

See also  What Not to Do During a Custody Battle? 

Establishing paternity can be a difficult process, but it is essential in order to ensure that both the child and the father have all of their rights and responsibilities recognized.

beautiful and happy family with little child in pa 2022 08 03 01 44 17 utc(1)(1)

A father can’t be listed on a birth certificate without consent

Listing the father of the child on a birth certificate isn’t possible without the father’s consent. While the father’s name can appear on the birth certificate, if there’s no signature from the father, the birth certificate won’t represent evidence of paternity.

Things can be trickier if the father is deceased. If you still wish to add the father’s name to the birth certificate, you will probably have to contact a lawyer. Typically, a DNA test on the deceased person will be used to help confirm paternity.

Custody and visitation rights

Joint custody allows both parents to be involved in decisions about the child’s education, health, and welfare. In the eyes of the law, joint custody rights are given to both parents if they are unmarried and living together unless one parent is deemed unfit.

However, it is a common misconception that fathers have automatic visitation and custody rights regarding their children. In reality, fathers might only have these rights if they take legal action to establish them.

In some cases, joint custody may not be possible if the parents live far apart. In these cases, one parent may have primary custody, and the other parent may have visitation rights. However, even if one parent has primary custody, the other parent still has a right to be involved in their child’s life.

See also  21 Tips for Building Healthy Family Relationship

Additionally, a father can waive his custody and visitation rights. While they may still have to provide financial support, they would have no rights to visit the child or have any involvement in decision-making.

Child support

Though unmarried parents are not married to one another, they may still face many of the same challenges regarding child support. In many cases, the non-custodial parent may be ordered by the court to pay child support.

In the case the non-custodial parent refuses to pay child support, they might face serious legal consequences. The custodial parent can take the non-custodial parent to court, and they may also be subject to wage garnishment or even jail time. In other cases, the custodial parent may try to withhold visitation if the non-custodial parent falls behind on payments.


It’s essential to know what rights and responsibilities each parent has in regard to their child. The laws around unmarried parents and their children can be complex, so it is necessary to do your research. You may also have to seek professional legal advice or consultation for disputes or conflicts.

Generally, it’s usually in everyone’s best interests if both parents can get along and support their child. When it comes down it, you want to ensure your child has the best chance to grow up happily and thrive.